Published on March 26th, 2014 | by Supworldmagazine
Standup For The Cure – A World without Breast Cancer
Standup for the Cure’s Third annual fundraising event scheduled for Saturday, May 3 at Newport Dunes in Newport Beach, California is on target to have over 1,000 participants support the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen.
Every $125 raised will potentially save a life by enabling women in need access to a mammogram. Entry fee for the event is $35 per person for the event , which takes place from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Top International paddleboard experts including the famous Schweitzer family, will instruct attendees of all levels (from people that have never used a paddleboard before to more advanced participants).
Adding to the excitement surrounding the event is the announcement of new partners One Kreate, Kaiser Permanente, Zonal Clothing and WJ Bradley Mortgage Capital rounding out our existing family of supporters; Riviera Paddlesurf (Presenting Sponsor), Maui Jim (Gold Sponsor), Irvine’s Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Kona Brewing Company and Barefoot Winery who will be sponsoring the happy hour with live beach reggae music by The Wheeland Brothers.
“We were thrilled with the success of the first events that have raised more than $160,000 for our organization and are honored to have the event continue. Mammograms are vital for identifying breast cancer at an early stage, so this event really is a lifesaver,” said Lisa Wolter, Executive Director of the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G Komen
The event will take place at Newport Dunes, visible from Pacific Coast Highway, and will provide breathtaking visuals of a sea of paddlers donned in pink for solidarity.
“This is our third year and we’ve added new events to appeal to participants of all ages such as a kids’ relay as well as free life-saving breast and skin cancer screenings. Beer and wine during the happy hour can be enjoyed with the fun music of The Wheeland Brothers,” said Judie Vivian, volunteer and founder of Standup for the Cure. “Riviera Paddlesurf and others will supply loaner boards and demonstrations for new paddlers. Kaiser Permanente will host the Health Expo where free Breast Exams will be offered along with Skin screening for Melanoma”
Stand up paddling originated in Hawaii. The blowing of the Hawaiian”Pu” conch shell at 10am will be signify the Hawaiian Blessing of the breast cancer survivors and their loved ones, followed by the release of a flock of white doves, commemorating those we have lost to breast cancer.
“Standup for the Cure’s May 3rd event is an excellent opportunity for families, friends and survivors to get together, have a great day filled with fun while raising money and ultimately save lives by doing something they love,” said event director Dan Van Dyck, whose mother is a 40-year breast cancer survivor.
- STANDUP PADDLEBOARD CLINIC taught by world-class Standup for the Cure ambassadors including the Schweitzer family. Other illustrious teachers include Kristin Thomas, Anthony Vela, Brennan Rose and Matt Becker
- SILENT AUCTION: Presenting Sponsor, Riviera Paddlesurf, has donated one of the limited edition Standup for the Cure paddle boards. Other items include SUP boards from Starboard, and Uli, and Pink paddles from Quickblade and Kialoa along with Maui Jim sunglasses and Kona Brewing Company’s signature Cruiser Bike.
- MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT
The Wheeland Brothers — Two Southern Californian brothers who grew up in Orange County. They combine the cool attitude and summertime energy of reggae with acoustic rock and ukulele lullabies.
- FREE CANCER SCREENING: Screenings for Breast Cancer and Melanoma will be offered during the event. Cancer specialists from Kaiser Permanente will be offering these screenings at the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo. Expert counselors will be on hand to help participants understand how to get affordable healthcare.
- YOGA PADDLEBOARD CLINIC: The hottest yoga style is on a paddleboard for giving the body a “core” workout because of the added challenge of having to maintain one’s balance while performing yoga. The clinic will be demonstrated by Standup for the Cure Ambassador and Breast Cancer Survivor Suzanne Yeo.
- FOOD AND DRINK: Irvine’s Ruth’s Chris Steak House will provide lunch; Happy hour with live music will be presented by Kona Brewing Company and Barefoot Winery.
- NEW ACTIVITIES: The 2014 agenda include a Kid’s Relay and a Surprise Format Pro Race and the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo with advice on how to get your best healthcare coverage.
- “PINK” ATTIRE: Participants that register by May 1 will receive a complimentary custom Pink SUP Jersey from Zonal Clothing
- PARKING: All day parking is available at Newport Dunes for $6 per vehicle.
- “Dry Foot” participants can take part in all festivities without getting on the water
In support of the fight against breast cancer, participants can sign up as a team or individual through the Crowdrise Web site: http://www.crowdrise.com/standupforthecure2014
For press/media information or media passes, please contact Dan Van Dyck firstname.lastname@example.org Phone (760)436-3589